If you don't know how to measure your penis, this article is for you.
Read on as we uncover the ins and outs behind penile measuring in this simple step-by-step guide!
In this article:
Note: Read the whole article or scroll down to the KEY TAKEAWAYS section at the end of this article for a short summary.
Why Measure a Penis?
Knowing a penis size may come in handy when buying a condom. Condoms come in various sizes, so knowing a penis size helps you find a suitable condom.
Condom sizing is pretty straightforward – it's like buying a t-shirt, except for a penis.
If you feel like measuring your penis is not for you, you can try multiple condoms until you find what you like and what feels excellent.ALSO READ: Everything You Need to Know About the Squeeze Technique (step-by-step)
How to Measure Your Penis
Measuring your penis is simple. You’ll need a ruler, a string or flexible tape measure, a pen, and a little sexual stimulation to achieve an erection. In this case, having an erection is essential to giving you an accurate penis measurement since a flaccid measurement would likely underrepresent your actual size.
or the most precise penis measurement, follow the step-by-step guide below for penis length, circumference, and width.
How to measure penis length
- Place your ruler on the base of your erect penis.
- Press the ruler into your pubic bone to ensure you're correctly measuring the entire length of your erect penis (including the buried penis under any excess fat or pubic hair).
- Measure your erect penis from the base to the tip.
How to measure penis circumference (girth)
- As shown in the image above, the penis circumference is measured by wrapping either a string or measuring tape around the thickest part of your penis (along the shaft)
- Avoid wrapping the string or measuring tape too tightly to prevent compression.
- When using a string, make a noticeable mark with a pen where the two pieces overlap.
- Lay the string on your ruler to get an accurate girth measurement.
What's the Average Penis Size?
Since there is a wide range of definitions when discussing average penis sizes (i.e. erect or flaccid penis length or girth), we will focus primarily on the average erect penis length and girth.
Based on a systematic review of over 15,000 men, the average erect length was estimated at 13.12 cm (5.17 inches).
In contrast, the average erect penis girth was 11.66 cm (4.59 inches). Remember that these measurements are average values in this group, with only 10% of men falling significantly above or below these average penis sizes.ALSO READ: Sex Positions to Help Men Last Longer
Does Penis Size Matter?
While it’s not uncommon for men to fantasize about having a longer, girthier penis, the question remains: does size matter?
Contrary to popular belief, most heterosexual women do not always think bigger is better regarding penis size.
According to sex expert and psychologists, 60% of women reported that the size of a man’s penis made no difference in their ability to orgasm. Peer-reviewed studies also found that 77% of females reported penis length as unimportant regarding sexual satisfaction.
Remember that every woman is unique in their sexual preferences. What they find desirable is typically less about the size and more about what you do with what you have!ALSO READ: Circumcised vs Uncircumcised: Is One Better Than the Other?
Is penis size related to shoe size?
According to sexologists, no clear statistical association exists between shoe size and penis size. However, the comparison between finger length and penile length may be more closely related.
Is a bent penis normal?
Yes, it's very common for the penis to be curved slightly, either left or right, facing when erect. However, suppose the angle of the bend is causing you pain or difficulty during sex. In that case, seeking professional medical advice and inquiring about potential treatment options is recommended.
What is a micropenis?
A micropenis is a smaller-than-average penis measuring 2.8 - 3.0 inches in stretched or erect length. Medical professionals commonly misdiagnose this rare condition in men. Inadequate testosterone levels may cause it during late fetal development stages.
Can I do anything to increase my penis size naturally?
While penile size is a common concern for men of all ages, there are, unfortunately, not many natural remedies to modify this. However, there are several tools, techniques, and lifestyle changes to help you increase the strength of your erection which in turn can contribute to a larger-looking average penis size.
- Diet and supplementing
- Exercise and weight loss
- Focus on foreplay
- Quitting smoking
- Penis pump
- Cock rings
What are penile lengthening procedures?
Penile elongation surgery is used to restore the functional size (i.e. increase the average length and girth) of the penis to help improve confidence, sexual satisfaction, and overall quality of life. This type of surgery, also known as penile augmentation, involves the insertion of silicone implants, using skin grafts, and transferring fat cells to increase the average size of the penis (including both penile length and girth).ALSO READ: What's your best sex position? Let's find out.
- Penis measurements help you accurately pick out a condom size that is most comfortable and effective during sexual activity
- Having an erect penis will help you achieve precise measurements of the average length, circumference (girth), and width of your package
- When compared to measuring erect penile length, flaccid length measurements are not an accurate representation of your actual penis size
- Use our step-by-step guide to help you correctly measure your penis
- No matter if you have a small, average, or larger penis, remember that size means far less compared to what you can do with what you have